Sunday, May 23, 2010

Our New Favorite Place



The Ft. Worth Museum of Science and History has a great Children's Museum. We became members and Hayden LOVES it. He never gets tired of it, even though we've been going once a week. I'm glad because it gives us a chance to get out of the house and play with new toys.



This is the first time we've gone where Hayden actually got a shopping cart to push around. As much as he liked the shopping cart, he much preferred picking up food and putting it in his mouth (really clean, I know).



Hayden's girl Edie came along to help shop. After all the shopping they could handle, Hayden and Edie went to explore the dino dig.




Hayden turned 15 months old on Saturday. I know everyone says this all the time, but I truly cannot believe how much time has gone by. It's hard to believe this was Hayden this time last year:





I also love this phase. It's a lot of work because he's so busy! He walks/runs everywhere and is always getting into things. His favorite thing is take something (ex. remote) and hide it somewhere else (ex. his toy mailbox). He loves being outside playing in the sandbox or chasing after his dogs. It's just so fun to watch him discover new things and laugh about them. One negative development is ... biting. I debated on whether I should mention this or not, but I figured in the interest of full disclosure -- I should. Hopefully this will not discourage anyone from letting their child play with Hayden.

Hayden plays really well with other children and loves his friends at daycare. However, we're gotten to an age where he knows something is his and he doesn't want to part with it until he's ready. Usually he expresses his anger by screaming really loud and crying -- typical. However, last week I got an "incident" report from school. "While Hayden was playing with a friend, the friend took Hayden's book away. Hayden bit his friend on the arm." Oh my gosh! What a little criminal! I felt terrible! There's really no way to discipline him for it -- because trust me, the kid doesn't understand no. Deciding I would deal with this by denial, I decided that I could chalk this up to teething. Surely, my child didn't purposefully bite someone! The next day, another incident report. This time, Hayden was the victim, not the defendant. I was relieved. I figured if another kid bit him he wouldn't do it to someone else, because he now knows how it feels.

WRONG.

What followed was a series of incident reports where Hayden alternates between being the biter and the bitee. The worst came on Friday when Hayden was a double offender -- biting 2 kids within an hour! Unreal! Now he's a serial biter. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle this. He has never attempted to bite me or Clark and it's not like he's old enough to sit down and have a heart to heart with about his behavior.

I'll have more updates as to height and weight in June. Hayden goes to the doctor on June 2nd!

2 comments:

  1. We love that museum! And the biting has got to be a phase. When Aden was about that age, he never bit anyone but he would come home with reports all the time about kids biting him. (Aden is very non-confrontational.) I would get so mad.

    But Ethan has just recently started biting so this is all new to me! Ethan doesn't know any other way to get toys he wants from his older, bigger brother, so usually Aden rules the place. The other day, Aden held out his arm to push/keep Ethan from the hot wheels and then I heard a shriek from Aden. Ethan bit him on the back! Aden is crying and mad, and I look over at Ethan who has a satisfied little look on his face - holding a hot wheel.

    Now how do exactly discipline THAT? I put my finger on his lips and said NO.NO. but then secretly high fived him in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm...I know it's not funny to YOU...BUT I am cracking up at your little biter! :) it's just a phase...and he will stop...and JMS still wants to play with him, believe it or not! ;) H is too cute!

    ReplyDelete