Friday, February 3, 2012

Our first two weeks...



Our first two weeks at home with this little nugget has been very different from our first two weeks at home with this nugget:

And yes, that's Hayden...not Harper

Before I start, I should offer this disclaimer. I had no idea what I was doing with Hayden. NONE. AT. ALL. I'm still not sure I know what I'm doing with Harper, but at least I know I've kept one child alive...a second shouldn't be so hard. So, while the rest of this post will sound like I'm ragging on sweet little Hayden, know that I am not. I have been very vocal with friends (and on this blog) about how difficult the first two weeks of Hayden's life were for me. My foray into breastfeeding and Hayden's subsequent weight loss is well documented. I felt like a complete failure and it wasn't until I embraced the formula and knowing Hayden would be okay that things began to turn around.

Harper is a completely different story. I will spare everyone the nitty-gritty details of breastfeeding, but I went into the whole process knowing I would supplement with formula. I think knowing that and watching as Harper just took over and OWNED breastfeeding made things much easier. She was actually eating which Hayden didn't (or couldn't) do for his first two weeks. This made for a much happier baby and a much, much happier mommy. Sure, we're not getting tons of sleep, but I know that's to be expected. Better yet, I know that it will get better, which is helping keep me sane. We have bad days and good days, but I think my perspective this time around is much better as well. I'm also happy to report that at her two week appointment -- she had gained her birth weight back. Go Harper (and go me!).

Of course, look at her! She's so perfect, it's hard to stress...



Harper is so over the flash


The one-eyed stare down.

Hayden is loving his little sister, which I'm thrilled about. He always asked to hold her and he asks to "pet" her and then sweetly rubs her head. Of course, we're not encouraging the use of the word "pet" as his sister is not a dog. Baby steps, you know? Having 2 kids brings its own brand of challenges -- how can I bathe Hayden if Harper refuses to stop eating during the evening hours (and daddy isn't home to help)? Will I ever be able to go anywhere, in public, with the two of them...at the same time? Will we ever eat in a restaurant again? While I'm still searching for answers to the first two questions, I can proudly report that we ate out, in a restaurant as a family of 4 tonight...with no problems.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the second baby coming home. I'm hoping mine goes as smoothly as yours has the second time around!

    ReplyDelete