I. Hate. Severe. Weather. I'm living in the wrong section of the state. I grew up in East Texas, and I don't ever recall being constantly worried about tornadoes or wind damage or anything. Granted East Texas has had its share of severe weather (Rita, Ike), but I don't remember any of that growing up.
Something unhinged in me when I moved to Ft. Worth. If David Finfrock (schmuck) is on my TV, I'm hiding in my closet with a laptop (to check the radar, duh) and pillows to put over my head in case my roof gets ripped off. I realize this is unhealthy and a little psycho, but that's me. When I was pregnant I told myself I didn't want to pass this fear on to my child and that I needed to toughen up. Well, let me tell you how that plan is going-- NOT WELL AT ALL.
Last night I was minding my own business after Dancing with the Stars when Pete Delekus (also a schmuck) comes on and starts talking about severe thunderstorm watches. I immediately break out into a cold sweat and start checking the radar like a fiend. This also launches a barrage of questions to Clark, "What's worse, a watch or a warning?" One would think with my fear of all things severe weather, I would know this. I DO, but I want Clark to say, it's a watch, calm down. Well, I kind of calm down (after asking Clark if I should get in the closet. His response: silence). Then, Pete Delekus tells me Tarrant County is going to be under a severe thunderstorm warning. YIKES. Plus he's pointing to those ridiculous, upsetting spinning circles on the radar. Hayden by this point is getting his "night night" bottle and couldn't careless.
Now, as I'm sure you all know, Hayden hasn't exactly let the Sandman take over at night time, and I try to go to sleep when he goes to sleep. So, if that's 9:45, I'm in bed at 9:45. Well, last night Hayden goes down with relative ease (yay!) at 10. I try to get in bed too, but I can HEAR Pete Delekus in the living room talking about high level and low level shears (whatever the hell those are) and I'm starting to freak. Apparently the main concern with this storm was hail, not tornadic activity. Still, hail scares me too. Last thing I need is grapefruit size hail busting through all my windows and landing in Hayden's pack n play (see...irrational fears, I know). So, I spend the next hour and a half getting up checking the radar. Hayden and Clark, meanwhile, sleep soundly. The storm goes more north and we get rain and thunder. Hayden continues to sleep. Mommy stays awake in case she need to make a quick getaway to the closet. Then, Hayden wakes up at 11:45 wanting to eat (last bottle 9:30). No sleep for Mommy. Ugh. I think this severe weather season lasts until May. Fan-freaking-tastic.
In other Hayden news, the witching hour has moved. 4- 5:45. Awesome. I purchased one of those sleep slacks/super swaddlers to try during the night. Well, Hayden doesn't like having his arms glued to his sides. I do think he startles himself awake sometimes, but startling himself awake is much better than him screaming bloody freaking murder when I bind his arms down. So, I bought a sleep sack with arm holes. He seems to like this. I also tried the swing, which results in fussing in the swing. Sigh. Last night was better, except for the 4am - 5:45 time period. Let's hope tonight is okay too!
I do think the little guy is going through a growth spurt. According to the super accurate Wii Fit, Hayden weighs 8lbs. He also fits into one of his 0-3 mos onesies. I don't think he can wear ALL 0-3mos clothes yet, but there are somethings he can wear! Yay!! Pics to come (Clark is better at the pics thing than I am).
Tonight the Baylor Bears play San Diego State in the Final Four of the NIT (lame, but still). We will be cheering them on and I expect all of you to do so as well. Hayden will be for sure.
Sic Em!



I love this blog.
ReplyDeletewhy do they always interrupt dwts? i remember that crap. would piss me off.
ReplyDelete