Yesterday was the doctor appointment day from hell. Hayden and I had 3 doctors appointments in one day. First thing in the morning Clark and I bundled Baby H up and headed back to the hospital for his second newborn screen. The lab pricked his heel and took a bunch of blood to screen for some diseases. He's already had one newborn screen to check for a lot of those illnesses, so I think we're in the clear on that. Hayden did great. He only whimpered, no crying! He left the hospital with a big, adult sized band aid on his baby heel. So sad!! Then, we went next door to my doctor for MY 2 week check up. The doctor checked out my incision and told me it was healing nicely. I was also cleared to start driving again -- yay! I can also lift Hayden's carrier now. Let me tell you -- that thing is HEAVY. So, I think I'm going to play the c-section card a little longer and let Clark carry that thing. We had a bet when we were leaving the doctor's office that I couldn't carry the carrier all the way to the car without switching arms. Needless to say, Clark won that little bet. I barely made it down the hall. I wanted to try to make it to the car, but Clark said he felt like a jerk walking beside me while I was lumbering around, obviously struggling with the carrier, while he looked on and laughed.
Now on to the not-so-fun appointment. Hayden had his 2 week check up with the pediatrician at 2. One of the main things they're looking for at this appointment is to see if Hayden has gained his birth weight back. Well, little H has NOT. Hayden weighed 7lbs at birth. Yesterday he weighed 5lbs 15oz. Boo! This led to many tears being shed by Mommy. Did Mommy wait to cry, with some dignity, in the car? Oh, of course not. As soon as I saw the number on the scale, the tears started. Yay hormones! Hayden has lost nearly 15% of his body weight in 2 weeks. Needless to say, this isn't good. I've been exclusively breastfeeding, so the doctor suggested I start supplementing with formula. So the plan of action right now is to wake him up every 2 hours to breastfeed THEN give him a bottle of formula afterwards. This made for a very exciting night, let me tell you. I set my alarm every two hours and got some one on one time with H Bomb in the wee hours of the morning. Hayden takes after his mother in that he really enjoys his sleep, so he is NOT a fan of being woken up and forced to eat (this is where he differs from his mother, b/c I enjoy eating entirely too much).
Of course, my question is why isn't he gaining? He seems to eat fine when I breastfeed him. The doctor said it could be the milk I make just isn't very high calorie. Well, great. We go back on Thursday morning to see if he's gained anything. She said she wants to see him gain an ounce to 2 ounces by Thursday morning. If he has gained -- great, we've solved the problem and Hayden will get more formula (which he seems to like just fine). If he hasn't gained, then we're going to start looking at "metabolic" reasons for his inability to gain weight.
It goes without saying that I really hope this is a low calorie milk issue and not something more serious. So please pray that H porks it up between now and Thursday morning at 9:45.
Of course, this makes me seriously question whether this child really came from me or not. He looks NOTHING like me and now he won't put on weight? That is not a Kelly characteristic at all!!
The rest of the appointment went fine. He was examined by the doctor and got a good report. He's grown a half inch in 2 weeks and his head measures normally. Oh, and his belly button finally fell off. I was VERY glad that happened on Daddy's watch, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have handled that well either!
Wearin' of the Green
10 years ago


Come on little piggy - let's see you put some weight on buddy!
ReplyDeleteOh, and Kelly... I am requesting new photos with blogs. kthxbye.
Chris
I took Tatum for this yesterday too for the heel prick thing. It was not as easy for us. She cried and SCREAMED! The lady doing it had to ask me if I was okay b/c she could tell I was about to bust out crying!
ReplyDelete